Friday, July 29, 2005

On the way to the weekend

I'm listening to Craftypod's 5th podcast. This one features an interview with bead artist Teresa Sullivan. Someday I'd like to call myself a bead artist.

Teresa has a project in the latest issue of Beadwork. It never ceases to amaze me how small the blog world is. I read that issue with interest, and now I am listening to Sister DG of Craftypod interview her. Amazing.

Today marks the beginning of North Bay's annual Heritage Festival. I'm not sure where the heritage part fits nowadays, however it is a pretty good party. North Bay has a population of 53,000 on a good day and during this weekend it swells to 150,000. People travel from all over to come. We even get Canadian Idol's Kalan Porter on Monday, yay (did that sound a little too sarcastic?).

Hundreds of Harley Davidson enthusiasts are expected to be here this weekend as well. They will be shutting down our downtown for their party. What an odd mix this weekend will be. Hard to envision hard core Harley owners hanging out with the radical bmx and motorcross crew, mix that with a little Spongebob, Dora the Explorer, a petting zoo and some alcohol and this should be a wild weekend. I wonder if anyone told them women can walk down our streets topless and it's perfectly legal? I think it's time I buy a digital camera.

On a crafty note, my first sock monkey went to live with McKenzie, a girl in Lina's daycamp. Lina was supposed to get her a gift for a Christmas in July gift exchange. With us being back so late last weekend, the sock monkey become the ideal gift. Lina has started one of her own and I have a cute green guy that I am working on. Will post pictures soon.

My Bead-it project is well under way but not well enough to be done yet. It has made me think creatively about beads again so that's a good thing. I think I may be able to present a tutorial on this one because I scanned some pretty good pictures along the way.

On a sore butt note, I am recouperating from a 55 km ride Hubby, Jody and I did on Wednesday. I rode 2/3rds of the way back off my seat because I was at the yee-ouch stage where my butt was concerned. My regular bike shorts have worn a little thin and I was tired of blushing at Jody's comments on what colour my underwear is when he was drafting me. So I wore a plain-old pare of spandex excercise shorts. They look similar but they have no diaper padding in the crotch. I don't know how Lance and the boys at the Tour do it. Hubby and I always half jokingly joke about needing to form that "callus" on our butts at the beginning of every season. I'm working on it. We took yesterday off. Today we are going to initiate one of our new found friends. Her and Jody have been hanging out. We are going to do a small 30km ride and so I am lending her my old road-bike and some shoes. The shoes seem to be a point of contention between her and Jody.

For those who may not be into biking, we ride with clipless pedals and the thing about clipless pedals is that you wear special hard soaled shoes which you clip and lock into small pedals. This makes riding great because you not only push down on the pedals but pull up as well. That makes it easier to go faster and to take on steep hills. However, everyone, at least once, forgets when they come to a stop to snap out of the pedals. Hence this warning from a clipless pedal tutorial:

"Warnings:
It's almost a given that the first time you forget to twist your foot out of the pedal and fall over will be either at a busy intersection or in front of a group of veteran bicyclists. Try to ease the pain by realizing just about everyone else has experienced it, too. "

Yep. Been there. Done that.

So apparently Jenn is billed as a clutz. She wants to ride, after all she must be noticing how svelt and lean I am becoming with all my riding (yah right!). But her confidence at being able to keep up with us and to keep the bike upright is a little low. In fact she was wondering if I had knee and elbow pads to lend her as well. I hate to tell her that biking on the road is generally a non-contact sport. OK maybe we'll wait to introduce her to our other love, mountain biking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

CRAFT

Leather craft
Wood
Basketry
Wirework
Decoupage
Quilling
Modelling & Pottery
Paper Mache

Textiles
Quilting
Sewing
Felt
Weaving
Appliqué

Knot work
Netting
Crochet
Knitting
Tatting
Lace making
Macramé
Finger knitting

Needlework
Crewelwork
Cross stitch
Embroidery
Smocking

Beadwork
French Beading
Loom work
Bead embroidery
Stringing

Stationary
Origami
paper craft
bookbinding

Cultural Handicrafts
Native Crafts
ART

Design

Dramatic Arts
Puppets (Finger puppets, marionettes)

Visual Arts
Photography
Drawing
Painting
Pen & Ink
Printmaking
Collage

Writing
Journaling

Music

Dance
FAMILY

Baby
Maternity

Letter Writing

Kids
Toys (Games, Puzzles)

Pet-keeping

Activities
Camping
Travel / vacations

Hobbies
Motorcycling
Pen Pals

Finances
THE HOME
Gardening
Organizing

Decorating
Candles
Pillows
HEALTH

Fitness

Cooking
Cooking
Baking
RESEARCH / EDUCATION

Homeschooling Resources
Science (Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, Geography)
Literature
Mathematics
History

World Culture

Genealogy

Internet
Blogs
OCCASION
Family
Wedding
Christening
Father’s Day
Mother’s Day
Birthdays
Reunions

Holidays
New Year’s Day
Canada Day
Christmas
Easter
St. Patrick’s Day
Halloween
Valentines
Thanksgiving
Remembrance Day
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Bags
Aprons
Belts
Hair Accessories
Jewellery
COMMUNITY & COMMUNITY SERVICE

Girl Guides
Sparks
Brownies
Recycling