Monday, July 18, 2005

Loosetooth your sock monkey rules! And internal questions about copyright.

Have you been toying with sock monkey ideas for Loobylu's Month of Softies Challenge. Come on I know you have. I know I have. So while reading my daily's I happened accross this guy. You can to go to Brandy's site to see more pictures. He is just too cute!


Mr. Stripus McGreenley Posted by Picasa

A big thank you to Brandy for her kind permission to allow me to post a picture of Mr. Stripus here on my blog.

I have to insert a note here... When I first posted this picture on my blog I didn't stop to think about what it was I was doing. I mean I post pictures here all the time. I never post any pictures without direct links and credits to the individual websites those pictures belong too. AND I never post any pictures here that I claim to be mine if I have not created the item and taken the photo/scan of it. I have always thought that credit was an important aspect of blogging, after all I have found most of the wonderful links to amazing blogs in that very manner. Then, after posting Mr. Stripus I realized that this picture was from someone's blog. And not just anyone's blog but someone whose blog I read on a regular basis. I removed Mr. Stripus's picture and emailed Brandy and owned up to what I had done and asked her permission to post him here which she graciously gave me. I am greatful for her understanding. However, now I am at a loss. What is the ethical way to become a blog intended to be a resource to myself and possibly others? I wanted to start a blog in order to 1) keep a visual journal of my creative journeys, 2) record interesting finds from the internet and 3) meet other people from various other experience and interest levels. I would be saddened if I slighted someone through callous disregard for their rights but I would also hate to not be able to lead other people through the amazing maze of resources I travel through on the net. After all, if this was a paper journal of the same nature, I would be cutting and pasting pictures I cut from magazines into my journal along with notes about where the pictures came from, I might even share some of that journal with another person. Where is the ethical line here? Anyone? If you are writing a review in a magazine is credit enough or do you always ask permission before including quotes and pictures?

I do know that in the case of Mr. Stripus it felt right to ask Brandy for her permission to use her picture, even if I did give credit to her and provided links back to her site.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christy said...

I agree with hillary. That is why I love the internet and reading other people's blogs. It is a neverending source of ideas to use as jumping off points to ideas of my own. I do think that it never hurts to ask someone's permission to post their work along with giving credit where it is due.

10:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CRAFT

Leather craft
Wood
Basketry
Wirework
Decoupage
Quilling
Modelling & Pottery
Paper Mache

Textiles
Quilting
Sewing
Felt
Weaving
Appliqué

Knot work
Netting
Crochet
Knitting
Tatting
Lace making
Macramé
Finger knitting

Needlework
Crewelwork
Cross stitch
Embroidery
Smocking

Beadwork
French Beading
Loom work
Bead embroidery
Stringing

Stationary
Origami
paper craft
bookbinding

Cultural Handicrafts
Native Crafts
ART

Design

Dramatic Arts
Puppets (Finger puppets, marionettes)

Visual Arts
Photography
Drawing
Painting
Pen & Ink
Printmaking
Collage

Writing
Journaling

Music

Dance
FAMILY

Baby
Maternity

Letter Writing

Kids
Toys (Games, Puzzles)

Pet-keeping

Activities
Camping
Travel / vacations

Hobbies
Motorcycling
Pen Pals

Finances
THE HOME
Gardening
Organizing

Decorating
Candles
Pillows
HEALTH

Fitness

Cooking
Cooking
Baking
RESEARCH / EDUCATION

Homeschooling Resources
Science (Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, Geography)
Literature
Mathematics
History

World Culture

Genealogy

Internet
Blogs
OCCASION
Family
Wedding
Christening
Father’s Day
Mother’s Day
Birthdays
Reunions

Holidays
New Year’s Day
Canada Day
Christmas
Easter
St. Patrick’s Day
Halloween
Valentines
Thanksgiving
Remembrance Day
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Bags
Aprons
Belts
Hair Accessories
Jewellery
COMMUNITY & COMMUNITY SERVICE

Girl Guides
Sparks
Brownies
Recycling