Thursday, November 03, 2005

Of tiaras and tears.

Of tiaras....

Lina had planned on being a princess for Halloween for the last month. After I purchased a pair of feathery blue wings to wear as a silly blue fairy for our Brownie Halloween party last Thursday, Lina took possession of them and decided she would be a "blue princess fairy" instead. I promised her I would make her a crown to wear. I refused to buy her a plastic crown from the dollar store. So Monday on my first official day off, before I excercised, before I tidied the house, I sat down and watched creative crafty stuff on TV and made a Cooper inspired tiara for her. I had to put my own touches on it, especially since I didn't have too many colours of blue wire to work with. But I do have A LOT OF BEADS!. She fairly glistened in watery droplets of glass. I wish she would have decided to be a fairy earlier, I would have made her a dress of leaves and petals, oh well, she loved the way she looked and told me I could make her costume next year. And of course I HAD to make a matching wand, although I like to call it a scepter.



Here. I flattened the tiara so I could close the scanner and get a better color shot. The tiara is fastened around the head with 3 mil silk white ribbons (like a head band). Isn't it amazing what you can make with some florist's wire, craft wire and some beads? So Cindy, what colour would you like?


Tiara Posted by Picasa

and tears....

Well, for the second time, Back-Tack has been a gift and I am left speechless. I was paired with Angharad of Sweet. I don't know what to say, I shed tears.

On a morning of extreme frustration, having woken up once again in pain. I am doing so good this week, trying to piece a healthy diet and excercise routine back together that to take such a step backward... well, I had started the day feeling so low and trying to get my brain in a good place to keep going on the journey back to health before my stupid fibromyalgia dragged me down. I almost wept this morning when I woke and my fingers were like sausages and my arms felt like they had been rowing slave oars all night in my sleep. I knew that once I stopped my busy routines and took time for just me, my body would shut down and avenge itself for the last session of mistreatment, but the knowledge and the living of it are two different things. Anyway, I forced myself up early and went to the gym and walk on the treadmill for about 40 minutes. It was a good relaxed change from riding my bike which I have been doing every morning this week.

On the way there, I stopped by the post office to pick up the parcel I knew was waiting for me. I was SO BIG!!! I didn't even peek at it until I got home, got my boots off and turned on the TV (I have been treating myself with watching whatever I want - I don't normally get control of the remote). I can't even tell you how amazed I was to open the precious gifts I received. Angharad, you are a jewel and read me better than I thought possible.

I took pictures with my 35mm, so you will all have to wait for pictures. First off, a BIG box of Southern California's "best salt water taffy". (It's a treat, I might just have to indulge in - just one until I get my fibro under control - but I bet it will be worth it!!!). Now I know I never mentioned that in my blog, how did you know that salt water taffy is one of my all time favourite treats! Maybe you are the true sleuth!

Then, low and behold a beautiful handbound leather journal. Then I opened up a parcel containing a wonderful book on "Making and Keeping Creative Journals". Heart be still.

I am alone here today, not that it matters, neither John nor Lina would understand how profound my silence and awe were when I opened a kit to find tools for bookbinding and journalmaking. I am stunned. Angharad, when I made the journals I made last year, you would laugh to see the rudimentary tools I used. I don't live close to anywhere where tools and materials such as these are readily available. You have provided me with a gift I could not easily gift myself with.

And the bag! It is gorgious! I love it! So clever. So stylish! Don't you wish I had a digital camera now?

As soon as I opened the tool kit I had to phone my mom. (She understands me creatively and how much I need to create or my health suffers - strange eh?) She is as touched as I. She agreed I needed to get off the phone with her and share what I am feeling.

Thank you thank you thank you.....

The best part is, I am alone at home today, and I get to savour all of this without interuption (even the taffy). While I am putting the finishing touches on my backtack project, I can sneak back from time to time and run my hands along the bone folder, the fabrics, the cases. And add to that the fact that my backtack partner is herself a bookbinder!

The worst parts are that she was so generous, she even gifted Lina with a parcel of her own. And I am bursting to see what's in it. Lina loves receiving mail of any kind which she became addicted too when I joined Nervousness. And the last that until I finish my backtack project, I can't sit down to have a go at a new journal. But I can dream...

Tonight before our Guiding Enrollment Ceremony, I am going to bring all of my items in to gloat to the other Leaders.

Thank you internet for allowing me to reach creative and talented people from around the globe, and THANK YOU Angharad! Today will now be such a good day!

3 Comments:

Blogger peftasteri said...

Hi there,

I was about to believe that I’m lost in blogworld looking for something special (What kind of special? Don't ask me!) But I stuck here enjoying your kind of art. It is colourful, happy, inspired and unique.

My best, ha, the face by coca-cola rings!! With your permission I would like to give a copy to our kinder garden teacher. I sure the children will love it.

I'll be reading you...from the other side of earth in Athens!

Wish you a colourful day!

10:43 a.m.  
Blogger ria said...

Oh please do! Go ahead and use the idea! It is so easy to do and makes me smile when I see it.

Thank you and stop by and chat anytime.

11:15 a.m.  
Blogger sauvageblue said...

I guess we are both in our aches and pains, I pray you feel better and I will keep you in my happy thoughts. Well I have to answer your vital first question why blue is my favorite color but I just love shiney's so glittery diamondy would be my Tiara of choice, smile! I started to cry when I read your post I am so touched you were blessed with a wonderful backtack pal you deserve it! I have read your recent posts and my heart ached but now ppsstt! with all that! Girlfriend get your BT2 finished and outta the way and start journaling and by golly go gloat, gloat, gloat tonight!!!! I was so worried you were upset with me because I called you on your sleuthing. I do have to admit I so impressed when you mentioned you were all fancy shmancy certified and all and you can trace your family as far back as the ice ages. But I was afraid I hurt your feelings, sorry if I did! But just look at what you received and it would not have been the same if you knew it was on its way. I have to say reading your post touched my heart and I felt like I was there with you, you have quite a gift with words. I also have to say you are outright incrediblely talented. I wish you were here close by because I would probably be picking your brain and sharing all my hair brain ideas numerous times throughout the day. Have a even more Fabulous day!

2:10 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CRAFT

Leather craft
Wood
Basketry
Wirework
Decoupage
Quilling
Modelling & Pottery
Paper Mache

Textiles
Quilting
Sewing
Felt
Weaving
Appliqué

Knot work
Netting
Crochet
Knitting
Tatting
Lace making
Macramé
Finger knitting

Needlework
Crewelwork
Cross stitch
Embroidery
Smocking

Beadwork
French Beading
Loom work
Bead embroidery
Stringing

Stationary
Origami
paper craft
bookbinding

Cultural Handicrafts
Native Crafts
ART

Design

Dramatic Arts
Puppets (Finger puppets, marionettes)

Visual Arts
Photography
Drawing
Painting
Pen & Ink
Printmaking
Collage

Writing
Journaling

Music

Dance
FAMILY

Baby
Maternity

Letter Writing

Kids
Toys (Games, Puzzles)

Pet-keeping

Activities
Camping
Travel / vacations

Hobbies
Motorcycling
Pen Pals

Finances
THE HOME
Gardening
Organizing

Decorating
Candles
Pillows
HEALTH

Fitness

Cooking
Cooking
Baking
RESEARCH / EDUCATION

Homeschooling Resources
Science (Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, Geography)
Literature
Mathematics
History

World Culture

Genealogy

Internet
Blogs
OCCASION
Family
Wedding
Christening
Father’s Day
Mother’s Day
Birthdays
Reunions

Holidays
New Year’s Day
Canada Day
Christmas
Easter
St. Patrick’s Day
Halloween
Valentines
Thanksgiving
Remembrance Day
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Bags
Aprons
Belts
Hair Accessories
Jewellery
COMMUNITY & COMMUNITY SERVICE

Girl Guides
Sparks
Brownies
Recycling