Monday, June 13, 2005

Warning. I like critters.

I had another exciting thing happen this weekend.

We had a bunch of people over on Saturday night and while we were all out in the garage (oh come on, think about it, my Hubby lives for motorcycles so he also spends most of his time in the garage. We entertain in there too), one of the guys saw a frog. I went over to investigate because I thought it was weird that the thing wasn't jumping away. Sure enough, it was a treefrog. It was snuggled into a corner of the door. For warmth I guess, being cold blooded and all.

I picked him(her?) up and brought it over to where I was sitting. It crawled all over my hands and up my arm. Sarah (friend) was fascinated and I handed over the little critter to her for a while. She said it looked like the lichen that hangs off the trees in BC, it was the same colour. I told her about my niece who found one of these last year and raised it for about 8 weeks in a terrarium that my brother built for it. She fed it shadflies. It flourished and she would have kept it longer had it not got out and away one day.

So the little critter was a Tetraploid Gray Treefrog. They can change colours to match their environment from brownish gray to a silvery light blue green. These things keep me up at night in early summer with their constant chorus. Our backyard is the perfect environment.

Anyway. The thing snuggled into my hand. I mean, it actually folded it's feet beneath it's chin like two little fists and snuggled it's head on top of them and closed its eyes and rested. It would raise it's head every once in a while when something moved in front of it, but it seemed quite happy to just snuggle against the warmth of my hand. I was singing to it. Brrrrrrt. Brrrrrrrt. The guys thought I was nuts (I do the call quite well since I hear it for hours every night) You can hear the call here.

What a gift that was, I mean what kind of anphibian snuggles? They are such cold creatures. It had no fear at all. I actually considered bringing it into my bedroom for the night, just because it looked so compfy that I did not want to disturb it. Hubby made me let it go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

CRAFT

Leather craft
Wood
Basketry
Wirework
Decoupage
Quilling
Modelling & Pottery
Paper Mache

Textiles
Quilting
Sewing
Felt
Weaving
Appliqué

Knot work
Netting
Crochet
Knitting
Tatting
Lace making
Macramé
Finger knitting

Needlework
Crewelwork
Cross stitch
Embroidery
Smocking

Beadwork
French Beading
Loom work
Bead embroidery
Stringing

Stationary
Origami
paper craft
bookbinding

Cultural Handicrafts
Native Crafts
ART

Design

Dramatic Arts
Puppets (Finger puppets, marionettes)

Visual Arts
Photography
Drawing
Painting
Pen & Ink
Printmaking
Collage

Writing
Journaling

Music

Dance
FAMILY

Baby
Maternity

Letter Writing

Kids
Toys (Games, Puzzles)

Pet-keeping

Activities
Camping
Travel / vacations

Hobbies
Motorcycling
Pen Pals

Finances
THE HOME
Gardening
Organizing

Decorating
Candles
Pillows
HEALTH

Fitness

Cooking
Cooking
Baking
RESEARCH / EDUCATION

Homeschooling Resources
Science (Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, Geography)
Literature
Mathematics
History

World Culture

Genealogy

Internet
Blogs
OCCASION
Family
Wedding
Christening
Father’s Day
Mother’s Day
Birthdays
Reunions

Holidays
New Year’s Day
Canada Day
Christmas
Easter
St. Patrick’s Day
Halloween
Valentines
Thanksgiving
Remembrance Day
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Bags
Aprons
Belts
Hair Accessories
Jewellery
COMMUNITY & COMMUNITY SERVICE

Girl Guides
Sparks
Brownies
Recycling