Monday, January 09, 2006

Happy New Year!

Hello All,

It is pretty obvious that my surfing and my computer life have been sadly neglected while I was on my extended Christmas Break. When I turned on my computer this morning at work, I had 169 updates to read on my Bloglines account- Whew! I have a lot to catch up on. I am happy to report that I am rested, energized and optimistic about this new year. I think I will make a habit of taking time off after the holidays every year - it's been a long enough break for me NOT to do any thinking.

Tomorrow's my birthday. I will be 36 and I am having a hard time with the fact that this one is actually bugging me. I never cared about my age before. I just don't feel 36. Not that I felt 35, but this one seems to be on the other "side" of something. One of the kids from across the street told me a few months ago that I don't "look" like a "normal" mom. She said moms tuck their shirts in their pants, were high cut waists and don't do cool things like ride motorcycles. I guess the 36 thing is tied to the fact that the age disparity between the inner me and numerical age is starting to widen. Oh well, societal views never held much clout for me anyway. I figure I am going to be 25 for ever. (Should be interesting when I'm 80! ha ha)

Christmas was not creative this year. But it was actually nice just for that reason. Lina and I did make a 30 foot garland for our tree but other than that I didn't stress myself out by making any Christmas gifts this year. I know that I will have to make up for it (to myself) next year, but I'm OK with that.

What I am most excited about occured in the last three days of my holidays. I have taken a huge plunge and have torn my "craft room" (we've been calling it the "crap room") apart and have started actually redesigning it. Designing it as a workspace. I have one wall that will house 10 feet of table space and above it will be 3 shelves 10 feet long. It wasn't supposed to be so involved, I had actually just intended on cleaning it, but I quickly came to the conclusion that this room was no more than a junk room and that I deserved to have a dedicated space designed for what I like to do. I am so happy with the colours too. The walls are already a soft grey and the shelves and tables are going to be what's call "semi-sweet chocolate" a nice dark brown. Everything is a mess, especially since I had to put the craft junk back into the room (it was in the hallway) because we had a 4 month old puppy come to visit who chews on everything. I am still in the process of painting shelves, it takes so long because I have to warm up the garage with a propane heater to paint (hey it's Canada eh!) and I have to use oil based paint on the shelves. When it is complete, I will have a permanent set up for my sewing machine (no more dragging it out of the closet and trying to find my bobbins). I will have peg boards for my beadworking tools and I will have over the workspace lighting for sorting tiny beads. I also decided to weed out my craft room and concentrate only on those techniques I use most regularly. Knitting, crochet, beadwork, drawing and photography/genealogy will stay, as will sewing. Everything else, I will take a hard look at before keeping. And that way I can really think about some of the new things I would like to try - like journal making!!!

I'm so happy happy happy. Now I only hope my husband has the patience to deal with my decorating project for the new few weeks.

I hope everyone had a lovely holiday season this year!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good to hear from you again. Happy new year! And yes, it is a sasha doll! I replied on my post, but I'll repeat it here. It's kinda a cute story. I had no idea about Sasha dolls until Tabby fell in love with a friends and was very generously allowed to borrow it for a few days. She loved it to death, so I though I would try and find one like it on ebay as a christmas present. It took a few searches to get the wording right, but then, tada, the world of sasha dolls was revealed to me. The one I finally won is a "lightly sexed" boy baby sasha and tabitha seems to love it!

:)

3:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CRAFT

Leather craft
Wood
Basketry
Wirework
Decoupage
Quilling
Modelling & Pottery
Paper Mache

Textiles
Quilting
Sewing
Felt
Weaving
Appliqué

Knot work
Netting
Crochet
Knitting
Tatting
Lace making
Macramé
Finger knitting

Needlework
Crewelwork
Cross stitch
Embroidery
Smocking

Beadwork
French Beading
Loom work
Bead embroidery
Stringing

Stationary
Origami
paper craft
bookbinding

Cultural Handicrafts
Native Crafts
ART

Design

Dramatic Arts
Puppets (Finger puppets, marionettes)

Visual Arts
Photography
Drawing
Painting
Pen & Ink
Printmaking
Collage

Writing
Journaling

Music

Dance
FAMILY

Baby
Maternity

Letter Writing

Kids
Toys (Games, Puzzles)

Pet-keeping

Activities
Camping
Travel / vacations

Hobbies
Motorcycling
Pen Pals

Finances
THE HOME
Gardening
Organizing

Decorating
Candles
Pillows
HEALTH

Fitness

Cooking
Cooking
Baking
RESEARCH / EDUCATION

Homeschooling Resources
Science (Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, Geography)
Literature
Mathematics
History

World Culture

Genealogy

Internet
Blogs
OCCASION
Family
Wedding
Christening
Father’s Day
Mother’s Day
Birthdays
Reunions

Holidays
New Year’s Day
Canada Day
Christmas
Easter
St. Patrick’s Day
Halloween
Valentines
Thanksgiving
Remembrance Day
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Bags
Aprons
Belts
Hair Accessories
Jewellery
COMMUNITY & COMMUNITY SERVICE

Girl Guides
Sparks
Brownies
Recycling