Friday, October 07, 2005

Family Friday

Back when my little family consisted of my husband (then we'd been living common-law for 9 years at that point), myself and our three pets, my creative Aunt Pat, known to me as Pantie At (she has a thing for mixing up letters so that my brother became known as Juncle O, instead of Uncle Joe) had a family Christmas tree made for all of our various families. What a wonderfully thoughtful little gift it was. I love that it made me feel all warm and fuzzy to be included in this gift giving even though we were not married at the time and did not have children. Come on now, back then we did get more than a few frowns from our older relatives because we were not married. It is a precious little gift that I have kept all these years.


Family Christmas Tree Posted by Picasa

I have digitaly removed our names from our hats, however as you can see below us are are kids at the time, Theo and Kramer the dogs and Fester the cat in the middle. Their little hats even have little paw prints drawn on them. Such attention to detail. The tree base, heads and hats are made from Fimo and the little stockings are made from felt with glitter glue embellishment. Fester and Kramer are still with us, but Theo died this spring. I think that if we did this again, we'd have to have theo at the top of the tree with a little halo and wings or something. And of course we'd need to add cute little Lina.

I came across the tree last night when I was rumaging around in my craft room for Christmas basket ideas and decided it would be a perfect fit for family Friday. Lina's homework last night was to work on a simple family tree, talk about a coincidence. Easy enough to do considering I can spew out names and dates ad nausium. It might be cool for her to work on something along the family tree line as part of our baskets this year. Hmmm. I'll have to look for some good ideas on that.

Ohh ohh. It just hit me, maybe our Christmas cards to everyone could be little thumbprint family trees. We could draw a Christmas tree and then Lina could put a thumbprint for each family member on a card and draw little hats and decorations and name each person. I like that. As this is the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, I'll have to see if maybe we could work a little on this.

Yay, crafty long weekend here we come!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your blog and I am really enjoying reading it. The family Christmas Tree is great! What a wonderful gift. I love your idea for the thumbprint cards.

7:55 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home

CRAFT

Leather craft
Wood
Basketry
Wirework
Decoupage
Quilling
Modelling & Pottery
Paper Mache

Textiles
Quilting
Sewing
Felt
Weaving
Appliqué

Knot work
Netting
Crochet
Knitting
Tatting
Lace making
Macramé
Finger knitting

Needlework
Crewelwork
Cross stitch
Embroidery
Smocking

Beadwork
French Beading
Loom work
Bead embroidery
Stringing

Stationary
Origami
paper craft
bookbinding

Cultural Handicrafts
Native Crafts
ART

Design

Dramatic Arts
Puppets (Finger puppets, marionettes)

Visual Arts
Photography
Drawing
Painting
Pen & Ink
Printmaking
Collage

Writing
Journaling

Music

Dance
FAMILY

Baby
Maternity

Letter Writing

Kids
Toys (Games, Puzzles)

Pet-keeping

Activities
Camping
Travel / vacations

Hobbies
Motorcycling
Pen Pals

Finances
THE HOME
Gardening
Organizing

Decorating
Candles
Pillows
HEALTH

Fitness

Cooking
Cooking
Baking
RESEARCH / EDUCATION

Homeschooling Resources
Science (Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, Geography)
Literature
Mathematics
History

World Culture

Genealogy

Internet
Blogs
OCCASION
Family
Wedding
Christening
Father’s Day
Mother’s Day
Birthdays
Reunions

Holidays
New Year’s Day
Canada Day
Christmas
Easter
St. Patrick’s Day
Halloween
Valentines
Thanksgiving
Remembrance Day
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Bags
Aprons
Belts
Hair Accessories
Jewellery
COMMUNITY & COMMUNITY SERVICE

Girl Guides
Sparks
Brownies
Recycling