Monday, August 29, 2005

Took a bite out of August.....

I took a look back over this month at the things I've accomplished and at the events that took place and I think I am justified at saying this August will now be known as the "month of the teeth". This morning, I hope, is the last chapter in the teeth book for a while.

Lina was scheduled to have the last four of eight teeth filled this morning. Knowing how I feel about going to the dentist, I hardly even mentioned it this weekend. This morning I watched her for signs that she was feeling stressed about it and honestly, I thought she was doing fine. By the time we got to the office I noticed she was getting a little clingy, by the time she was shown to the chair, she didn't want me to leave. I suggested nitros. I actually thought she had had it the last time, but it turns out she hadn't (I learned this after her appointment). So I stayed with her. Let me just say that watching my 6 year old get 4 fillings was like reliving nightmares from childhood, except in this case I was the one who was supposed to lie and tell her it was OK and it would be over before she knew it. The moment the drill touched her molar she flinched. The dentist asked her if it hurt and she said yes, so they gave her another needle. When they went in again, she flinched again, another needle. I think all told she had 5. Watching all this was not made any easier by the fact that after the 2nd filling her body started to tense. She held her hands behind her back and she crossed her legs and clenched her toes tight. They asked me if they should continue, I asked her if she wanted to finish watching the movie, she said yes. I thought it would be even harder to bring her in to get two more done if they stopped now so I said they should keep going. I let Lina hold both my hands and squeeze. We got through it OK, but I think we are both a little scarred. So now she has 8 of her teeth filled. I had scheduled the morning off work because I had learned the last time that she is very tired afterwards. So we went home and I let her snuggle up on the couch to watch TV.

I dropped her off at daycamp at about 1:00. Lina was complaining that her mouth was still asleep. She and I had to have a little heart to heart about her choice of words with the dentist. I said "Lina, you told the dentist that it hurt, so she gave you another needle" "It did hurt!" she said. "Lina, you then told the dentist that it hurt again." "It did hurt!" she said. "That's fine Lina, but did it hurt or was it uncomfortable?" "It was uncomfortable" she says. "Lina" I say exasperated "the dentist gave you a needle thinking it hurt, she probably gave you more needles than you needed because she thought you were in pain, getting a filling is always uncomfortable, needles aren't going to help that" "Oh!" she said. "Lina, your mouth is going to be asleep for a few hours yet". She has also informed me that she finds it uncomfortable to chew and that maybe she should have soft things to eat for a while. Like pudding. It was at that point that I turned into nagging mommy and told her that if she didn't start to think of caring for her teeth then these appointments at the dentist would be a little more frequent. How do you tell a kid that they really do have the ability to make a difference at this age? I was scared senseless into caring for mine. I remember my mom having to physically rip me out of the door at home and force me into the car, I did everything I could NOT to go to the dentist. This dentist of Lina's is so nice, she tells her how proud she is, she get's high fives from Lina as Lina leaves the room. Lina gets to choose a treasure from the treasure box, not to mention being able to watch Finding Nemo in the TV during her session with the dentist.

Well, I don't know who is more tired or crabby from this event. I think we are both just glad it is over. Please let September be the month of good weather and easy days.

Oh yah, stupid me, it looks like hubby and I will be sending Lina to a new school next week. Why did I think next month was going to be easy?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

CRAFT

Leather craft
Wood
Basketry
Wirework
Decoupage
Quilling
Modelling & Pottery
Paper Mache

Textiles
Quilting
Sewing
Felt
Weaving
Appliqué

Knot work
Netting
Crochet
Knitting
Tatting
Lace making
Macramé
Finger knitting

Needlework
Crewelwork
Cross stitch
Embroidery
Smocking

Beadwork
French Beading
Loom work
Bead embroidery
Stringing

Stationary
Origami
paper craft
bookbinding

Cultural Handicrafts
Native Crafts
ART

Design

Dramatic Arts
Puppets (Finger puppets, marionettes)

Visual Arts
Photography
Drawing
Painting
Pen & Ink
Printmaking
Collage

Writing
Journaling

Music

Dance
FAMILY

Baby
Maternity

Letter Writing

Kids
Toys (Games, Puzzles)

Pet-keeping

Activities
Camping
Travel / vacations

Hobbies
Motorcycling
Pen Pals

Finances
THE HOME
Gardening
Organizing

Decorating
Candles
Pillows
HEALTH

Fitness

Cooking
Cooking
Baking
RESEARCH / EDUCATION

Homeschooling Resources
Science (Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, Geography)
Literature
Mathematics
History

World Culture

Genealogy

Internet
Blogs
OCCASION
Family
Wedding
Christening
Father’s Day
Mother’s Day
Birthdays
Reunions

Holidays
New Year’s Day
Canada Day
Christmas
Easter
St. Patrick’s Day
Halloween
Valentines
Thanksgiving
Remembrance Day
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Bags
Aprons
Belts
Hair Accessories
Jewellery
COMMUNITY & COMMUNITY SERVICE

Girl Guides
Sparks
Brownies
Recycling