Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Proud Momma - You show 'em girl!

I was so proud of Lina last night. She started Gymnastics about 6 weeks ago and is insisting that she want's to be in the "keener" class. That is the class where they streamline the "kids with potential" into the competitive classes. The recreational was 1 hour a week. The Keener is 2 hours a week. The competitive would be 4 hours a day, 3 days a week. That sounds just icky if you ask me. I definately have some issues with the whole body image stuff that can accompany gymnastics. Lina takes after me, I am not overweight so much as I am what people call big boned. Lina is too, she is definately NOT one of those slim little girls that weigh 20 lbs wet. No, she is a 63 lb healthy kid. Anyway... back to being proud. Lina has been tying out for the Keener class and for the last three weeks and I had lots of talks about building strength and what her goals were and prepared her for whatever decision the coaches made. So as of last night it looks like she will be in the recreational class for now. I don't mind really, I like her coach in that class and she has promised me that she will help Lina with her technique and strength. But Lina has been doing sit ups and push ups at home along with practicing hand stands, splits and cartwheels. I really don't want her to get discouraged, I would like to show her that if she has a goal then there are steps that she can take to get there and not to let anyone else tell her she's not good enough (yes I know that there are limits to this but I think this one is attainable for her) so I am going to ask the owner of the gym to give me and Lina some concrete steps that Lina would have to take to get back into that class. We as parents are supposed to help our kids get to where they want right?

So last night I had prepared her that she may be in the recreational class for a while so this was the last time she would be in the Keener group. Man did she try her hardest. All those sit ups really paid off and she was able to keep up with the other girls in almost everything. Not to mention the fact that she was eager and attentive the whole 2 hours. You show 'em girl what they'll be missing! She was sweating pretty good when she was done. I give her a really big hug and told her that I (even if no one else noticed) saw how much effort she had put in.

On the craft front I started fooling around with fabrics and designs for a pincushion this morning. Starting on something just before you leave the house is almost never a good idea. So of course I don't like the design I tried. I will more than likely work on it this weekend, tomorow I have my annual financial audit to take care of and Brownies tomorrow night. My mom and her new boyfriend are coming up on Friday - we haven't met yet. I will try my hardest to at least get the foundation made so I can work on embellishment next week. I am crossing my fingers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

CRAFT

Leather craft
Wood
Basketry
Wirework
Decoupage
Quilling
Modelling & Pottery
Paper Mache

Textiles
Quilting
Sewing
Felt
Weaving
Appliqué

Knot work
Netting
Crochet
Knitting
Tatting
Lace making
Macramé
Finger knitting

Needlework
Crewelwork
Cross stitch
Embroidery
Smocking

Beadwork
French Beading
Loom work
Bead embroidery
Stringing

Stationary
Origami
paper craft
bookbinding

Cultural Handicrafts
Native Crafts
ART

Design

Dramatic Arts
Puppets (Finger puppets, marionettes)

Visual Arts
Photography
Drawing
Painting
Pen & Ink
Printmaking
Collage

Writing
Journaling

Music

Dance
FAMILY

Baby
Maternity

Letter Writing

Kids
Toys (Games, Puzzles)

Pet-keeping

Activities
Camping
Travel / vacations

Hobbies
Motorcycling
Pen Pals

Finances
THE HOME
Gardening
Organizing

Decorating
Candles
Pillows
HEALTH

Fitness

Cooking
Cooking
Baking
RESEARCH / EDUCATION

Homeschooling Resources
Science (Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, Geography)
Literature
Mathematics
History

World Culture

Genealogy

Internet
Blogs
OCCASION
Family
Wedding
Christening
Father’s Day
Mother’s Day
Birthdays
Reunions

Holidays
New Year’s Day
Canada Day
Christmas
Easter
St. Patrick’s Day
Halloween
Valentines
Thanksgiving
Remembrance Day
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Bags
Aprons
Belts
Hair Accessories
Jewellery
COMMUNITY & COMMUNITY SERVICE

Girl Guides
Sparks
Brownies
Recycling