Thursday, March 23, 2006

Children's Craft Books II

One of my favourite things to do instead of going to the gym at lucnh to work out, is going to Allison the Bookman's Used Book Store and browsing the craft magazines and books. I'm usually good for about $15 work of new treasures every trip. Probably the reason I didn't go today, I'm broke.

But the last time I went I netted a few books that I am still pouring over. They don't find a place on my bookshelf until they resided on my night table for a few weeks.

Arts & Crafts, A Manual for Leaders was a booklet prepared by Maggie Miles for the Ministry of Culture and Recreation Canada. A Google search produces absolutely nothing regarding either it's purpose or its origins. However, as the cover indicates the Minister of Culture and Recreation was the Honourable Robert Welch, a Google search indicates that he was Minister from 1975 to 1978 so that places the printing of this book during that time.

I love the illustrations and the projects are simple and yet very stylishly done. There are projects on puppet making, paper mache, design, applique, stichery and weaving. These are pages 71 - 73 and explain how to make paper figures. The happy partridge is my favourite.

Lina started Gymnastics on Tuesday. While shopping at Rebuilt Resources, more than just a second hand store - for some leotards for her (did I say I was broke this week?), I found some vintage craft books.

This one is Volume 3. Printed in 1975, it had a few quirky knit fashions and then I found this project for kids. Spool knitting. OK, so I know that we still do this today, but what the? Did kids back then have more patience? Check out the blanket made of spool knitting. I can't get Lina to sit still for more than an hour of spool knitting, how long did it take to make that blanket? I do like the hat for the doll and the little mice though.

Posted by Picasa

Yummy! More to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

CRAFT

Leather craft
Wood
Basketry
Wirework
Decoupage
Quilling
Modelling & Pottery
Paper Mache

Textiles
Quilting
Sewing
Felt
Weaving
Appliqué

Knot work
Netting
Crochet
Knitting
Tatting
Lace making
Macramé
Finger knitting

Needlework
Crewelwork
Cross stitch
Embroidery
Smocking

Beadwork
French Beading
Loom work
Bead embroidery
Stringing

Stationary
Origami
paper craft
bookbinding

Cultural Handicrafts
Native Crafts
ART

Design

Dramatic Arts
Puppets (Finger puppets, marionettes)

Visual Arts
Photography
Drawing
Painting
Pen & Ink
Printmaking
Collage

Writing
Journaling

Music

Dance
FAMILY

Baby
Maternity

Letter Writing

Kids
Toys (Games, Puzzles)

Pet-keeping

Activities
Camping
Travel / vacations

Hobbies
Motorcycling
Pen Pals

Finances
THE HOME
Gardening
Organizing

Decorating
Candles
Pillows
HEALTH

Fitness

Cooking
Cooking
Baking
RESEARCH / EDUCATION

Homeschooling Resources
Science (Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, Geography)
Literature
Mathematics
History

World Culture

Genealogy

Internet
Blogs
OCCASION
Family
Wedding
Christening
Father’s Day
Mother’s Day
Birthdays
Reunions

Holidays
New Year’s Day
Canada Day
Christmas
Easter
St. Patrick’s Day
Halloween
Valentines
Thanksgiving
Remembrance Day
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Bags
Aprons
Belts
Hair Accessories
Jewellery
COMMUNITY & COMMUNITY SERVICE

Girl Guides
Sparks
Brownies
Recycling