Monday, April 18, 2005

Organization

Okay, lurking in other peoples blogs has become a way of life now. I can't start me day off right without seeing what other creative peoples have been up too. It's an addictive drug. Things are starting to blur though. I have a hard time keeping what I read straight and I have led my mom on a few wild goose chases looking for "that amazing picushion". Which blog was it? Damn.

So hopefully I solved it. I started keeping a visual journal of a kind and developed an easier way to keep track of some of the inspiring things I come accross. Before, I kept copies of pictures I found, printed them out and kept them in binders. I have no intention of posting other's pictures as mine own or anything, It's just that I am a visual learner. I can usually figure out how to make something just from looking at a picture. However, when there is a good idea on someone's site, usual that means there are more and pictures don't tell me where they were originally from and I have always regretted not having a complete record for these things. So I have a Word document where, when I find something interesting, I post the picture in there complete with: date of search (helps when trying to refer back to someone's blog), name of the picture file (backclick on a photo and look at it's properties), subject area (to help with sorting), web-addy, Site name, and comments. I actually have a different Word document for each subject area. It is organized into tables and it's wonderful. Now I know who created the wonderful item, I can go back to their website and check for updates, leave a comment or ask permission from them to mention them in my book (if and when I ever get it completed). Much better. And being a research junkie, much more perfessional and satisfying. It's like keeping a scrapbook of newspaper articles and writing the date and newspaper on the top of the article. It just makes sense later on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

CRAFT

Leather craft
Wood
Basketry
Wirework
Decoupage
Quilling
Modelling & Pottery
Paper Mache

Textiles
Quilting
Sewing
Felt
Weaving
Appliqué

Knot work
Netting
Crochet
Knitting
Tatting
Lace making
Macramé
Finger knitting

Needlework
Crewelwork
Cross stitch
Embroidery
Smocking

Beadwork
French Beading
Loom work
Bead embroidery
Stringing

Stationary
Origami
paper craft
bookbinding

Cultural Handicrafts
Native Crafts
ART

Design

Dramatic Arts
Puppets (Finger puppets, marionettes)

Visual Arts
Photography
Drawing
Painting
Pen & Ink
Printmaking
Collage

Writing
Journaling

Music

Dance
FAMILY

Baby
Maternity

Letter Writing

Kids
Toys (Games, Puzzles)

Pet-keeping

Activities
Camping
Travel / vacations

Hobbies
Motorcycling
Pen Pals

Finances
THE HOME
Gardening
Organizing

Decorating
Candles
Pillows
HEALTH

Fitness

Cooking
Cooking
Baking
RESEARCH / EDUCATION

Homeschooling Resources
Science (Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, Geography)
Literature
Mathematics
History

World Culture

Genealogy

Internet
Blogs
OCCASION
Family
Wedding
Christening
Father’s Day
Mother’s Day
Birthdays
Reunions

Holidays
New Year’s Day
Canada Day
Christmas
Easter
St. Patrick’s Day
Halloween
Valentines
Thanksgiving
Remembrance Day
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Bags
Aprons
Belts
Hair Accessories
Jewellery
COMMUNITY & COMMUNITY SERVICE

Girl Guides
Sparks
Brownies
Recycling