Friday, April 29, 2005

A Family History Quilt?


1913 - Family postcard from my Great Great Grandparents to my Grandfather when he was 9 years old. Posted by Hello
A new idea occured to me today. It had to do a lot, I think, with having browsed through Turtle Moon Quilting's website yesterday. I had bookmarked this site in the past but I ended up there once again following links here and there in a convoluted manner. It is really quite the inspiring website. And I also was drawn to the link to Jame's Accord's Leather as well. Two obviously talented people.

Anyway. I am in the lucky posession of a postcard album. I will scan the cover another time. It contains hundreds of postcards that represent communications between my great-great grandparent's generation down to my grandfathers generation. The amazing collection cronicles, in brief tidbits, the lives and times of my father's family. It provides a precious look back at the tradition of letter writing. It is also precious to me as Genealogy is a serious love of mine.

With the influence of Turtle Moon quilting, among the other sites I have visited lately, some of which are involved in back-tack, I suddenly remembered the postcard album and thought how amazing and reverent it would be to scan all of those cards in order of date and print them onto fabric and make the collection into a quilt in honour of the album. Could I actually accept that task? And complete it? I will think about that one for a few days. I don't quilt, so right there I know it would be non-tradtional.

Still, what a joy it would be to hang that quilt (it would be quite large considering the quantity of cards and that I would want both front and back showing) and be surrounding by all that history.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

CRAFT

Leather craft
Wood
Basketry
Wirework
Decoupage
Quilling
Modelling & Pottery
Paper Mache

Textiles
Quilting
Sewing
Felt
Weaving
Appliqué

Knot work
Netting
Crochet
Knitting
Tatting
Lace making
Macramé
Finger knitting

Needlework
Crewelwork
Cross stitch
Embroidery
Smocking

Beadwork
French Beading
Loom work
Bead embroidery
Stringing

Stationary
Origami
paper craft
bookbinding

Cultural Handicrafts
Native Crafts
ART

Design

Dramatic Arts
Puppets (Finger puppets, marionettes)

Visual Arts
Photography
Drawing
Painting
Pen & Ink
Printmaking
Collage

Writing
Journaling

Music

Dance
FAMILY

Baby
Maternity

Letter Writing

Kids
Toys (Games, Puzzles)

Pet-keeping

Activities
Camping
Travel / vacations

Hobbies
Motorcycling
Pen Pals

Finances
THE HOME
Gardening
Organizing

Decorating
Candles
Pillows
HEALTH

Fitness

Cooking
Cooking
Baking
RESEARCH / EDUCATION

Homeschooling Resources
Science (Earth Science, Astronomy, Physics, Geography)
Literature
Mathematics
History

World Culture

Genealogy

Internet
Blogs
OCCASION
Family
Wedding
Christening
Father’s Day
Mother’s Day
Birthdays
Reunions

Holidays
New Year’s Day
Canada Day
Christmas
Easter
St. Patrick’s Day
Halloween
Valentines
Thanksgiving
Remembrance Day
CLOTHING & ACCESSORIES
Bags
Aprons
Belts
Hair Accessories
Jewellery
COMMUNITY & COMMUNITY SERVICE

Girl Guides
Sparks
Brownies
Recycling